A father who breached a court order and disappeared with his four-year-old son has been jailed, reports have revealed.
Earlier this year, a Family Court judge ruled that the child should live with his mother and made an order allowing the father, who is in his 40s, to see his son on certain days.
But the man, from Gateshead, breached the order after disappearing with his son for seven days in July following litigation with the mother.
A nationwide search and public appeal followed, before the father and son were found in Dunblane, Scotland.
Ruling this week, a High Court judge said the severity and “planned nature” of the abduction warranted a four-month jail sentence.
The written ruling described the incident as a “planned purposeful breach of a court order” after discovering that the father had borrowed a car from a friend a month before the abduction took place.
The ruling also notes that the father did not answer his phone and ensured that he had “disappeared digitally”, adding that the father would have known that the police were searching for him through radio and news broadcasts.
“His reasons for the abduction were that he had been involved in the family proceedings for three years,” said Mrs Justice Arbuthnot, presiding over the case.
“He said he had found them extremely difficult and believed that he was being removed from his son’s life. The judge had agreed with his ex-partner and not with him. He said he felt traumatised by the proceedings, and they had had a profound effect upon him.
“An immediate custodial order is the only appropriate sentence reflecting the gravity of the contempt.”
For help and advice with family and relationship matters, please get in touch with Alison Green, Head of our Family and Relationship Team at Mackrell.Solicitors on +44 (0) 20 7240 0521 or at email@example.com
Latest posts by Alison Green (see all)
- Family court judge rejects 28 identical ‘DIY’ divorce applications - December 10, 2021
- Financial barriers preventing marriage, study reveals - December 3, 2021
- Councils must provide victims of domestic abuse with “safe accommodation” under new rules - December 1, 2021