In a busy working environment, stress and mental health issues are easy to overlook by busy managers.
According to Government statistics, 822,000 workers suffered from work-related stress, depression or anxiety in 2020/21.
The statistics showed the greatest causes of stress in the workplace are:
- Heavy workload – 44 per cent
- Lack of support – 14 per cent
- Bullying – 13 per cent
- Changes at work – 8 per cent
Businesses are now being urged to support the aims of World Kindness Day, which took place again on 13 November. Supported by the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation, it aims to make kindness the norm in daily life, including the workplace.
This can be when you offer a positive attitude and goodwill toward those you work with, which can include your direct co-workers, managers and clients.
Research shows initiatives that encourage acts of kindness within the workplace can have a transformative on the mental health of employees. It also decreases the possibility of potentially costly employment disputes.
For managers and owners, a happier team means less absenteeism and a lower staff turnover, which in turn boosts productivity. This can be achieved by:
- Finding ways to balance workloads for employees
- Recognising those who go the extra mile to help others
- Reminding employees why you appreciate working with them.
- Ensuring good communication so that everyone is included in meetings and other company gatherings.
In a survey conducted by the Random Act of Kindness Foundation, half of the participants in one study reported that they feel stronger and more energetic after helping others. Many also reported feeling calmer and less depressed, with increased feelings of self-worth.
There are a number of initiatives managers can promote to increase happiness within the workplace including:
- Allowing staff to help a local organisation or charity with time off
- Taking the time to listen to ideas
- Sharing positive messages and feedback with your staff
- Promoting the idea of everyone embracing the company’s goals
Latest posts by Joanna Alexiou (see all)
- How being kind in the workplace can boost productivity - November 30, 2022
- Businesses react to record low level of youth unemployment - October 7, 2022